Thursday, November 03, 2005

Ouch!

I got bit by the beta bug.

I've been spending the last couple of weeks developing a XUL application. I got stuck on this bug where this widget would simply refuse to bind to my remote RDF/XML datasource which was generated by a PHP script. Eventually, after some agressive debugging, I figured out that file encoding might be an issue. Then I spent a lot of time trying to sort that. Still, things would not work.

Then I finally got around to upgrading my platform (web browser) from 1.5beta2 to 1.5RC1.

The problem went away.

The moral of the story? Be careful with beta software!
I got burnt because my development platform and my most-used software tool are one and the same. I like to participate in beta testing for Mozilla.org but as a developer, it cost me dearly this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My status