Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Bosom buddies

Testify brother!

Regex Buddy is MY bosom buddy. I can't, in good conscience, keep using this program without spreading the word about how good it is - it really is that compelling. I found out about it while trolling the web for good information on regular expressions. After checking the price, I promptly had 5 licences ordered for our developer team at work. I've had a few months with it now and it has never let me down.

There have been tonnes of times where I needed to process/mine ASCII text in some way and I know that a regex will do the job handily. Only problem is that I never quite got the hang of regexes despite repeated attempts at reading material on them. It seems there was always some important subtlty that elluded me. The times between needing to use RegExes where also just long enough for me to forget the important details resulting in the need for "revision study" every single time I wanted to use a RegEx. It was really starting to piss me off!

Since I got Regex Buddy, my life changed forever and now I am a multi-billionare with lots of money and a perfect life. OK, maybe that is a slight exaduration, but it has cirtainly made all my programming a hell of a lot easier and also a hell of a lot more functional. Things that I would have balked at, I now tackle with confidence.

My most favourite feature s the token-based regex builder which uses a menu (with user-freindly terms) to build up and/or modify a regex. The other thing I love is the test window which allows you to quickly prove your regexes. There's also an amazing debugger but I haven't gotten 'round to using that yet. I love the task-oriented code generator that supports about 10 different languages. There's also a tonne of ready-made regexes in the built-in library and you can add/save your own. The library is a great solution to managing/re-using your regexes. But, my most favourite part of this package, is the tightly linked help. It's awesome. It's comprehensive, and well written. And you can broach a topic without needing a whole pile of prerequisite knowledge (in most cases). You can right click on a token (in the regex builder) and choose "explain" to read more about. This, my friends, is the ONLY way to learn regexes.

Burn your books. They are wasting your valuable time.
Regex Buddy is cheaper than any of them anyway.

I use Regex buddy almost daily for my PHP/JavaScript/Java/C# development.
Note, all modern relational database management systems (such as PostgreSQL) support regexes in the where clause now days.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meh..... Where have you been:

www.vim.org
www.perl.org

Oh.. you want to SEE what you are doing... Real geeks visualise this in their head

/me *sneaks off and looks at RegexBuddy*
/me *Goes back to vim as RegexBuddy is for THAT OS from Redmond...*
/me *Thinks I have to fully migrate to OS X and BSD*

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 5:27:00 AM  
Blogger Terence said...

Regex Buddy is more than a visual editor. it is a regex expression library manager, a full-featured debugger, and most importantly, a learning tool.

If you don't need to learn anything about regexs (ie. you know everything there is to know about them) and you don't need to test/debug them (because you always get them right the first time), then you don't need regex buddy.

I just hope the author decides to release a version for other platforms. This app would do well to be written in Java - for that reason.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 2:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. I never get them right first time, all the time.

And no, I dont know all about regex there is to know.

Yes cross-platform would be a good thing, and worth a second look then.

Thursday, November 17, 2005 4:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My status